Wednesday, October 01, 2008

self-confoozled

adj. A common self-fuddling state.

Real citation: "Lexicographers are interested (professionally, that is) in words they can put in dictionaries. They watch new creations to see if they stick around; if not, they forget them. Linguists are interested in how speakers form words, among many other things. Linguistilexicographers, on the other hand, are selfconfoozled."
(languagehat, Oct. 1, 2008, MetaFilter, http://www.metafilter.com/75294/Fandiddlydamntastic)

Made-up citation: "Would you rather be self-confoozled or just confoozled? Or merely foozled? Choose your fooz wisely, my son!"

4 comments:

Ritholtz said...

I love that word.

I must use it in a post tomorrow, and I think I know exactly where I can slip it in . . .

Deborah Leiter Nyabuti said...

Okay, is this word to be hyphenated or not? [exit obnoxious style-guide-policish type]

Mark Peters said...

Heh... Well, I violated the original by adding a hyphen, so you know where I stand...

Anonymous said...

Self-confoozle me once, shame on me. Self-confoozle me twice....won't get self-confoozled again!