Thursday, February 07, 2008

pro-binky-nuk-sucky-lovey-ya-ya

adj. I’ll take your “pro-binky” and raise you five hyphens.

Real citation: “Here's the story of my life: pre-kid, I had no opinion on pacifiers, pro or con. (I think I was too busy having other child-rearing opinions that would turn out to have little in common with my own parenting reality.) Then when my daughter was born and turned out to prefer screaming to sleeping and I was going a little crazy, I decided three days old was just the right time to develop a first addiction, and I did not care if she ended up in braces for life or took it to college with her. I popped a pacifier in her mouth, she sucked for 10 seconds, and then looked really annoyed and spit it out. I tried again. This time she spit it about a foot and gave me a rageful look that said, ‘Do you think I'm an idiot? Nothing's coming out of that!’ I only tried maybe 30 more times after that, and never had even a little bit of success. That's what I get for being pro-binky-nuk-sucky-lovey-ya-ya I guess.
(Feb. 9, 2007, The Poop: The Chronicle Baby Blog, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?blogid=29&entry_id=13316)

Made-up citation: “I will only raise my child in a pro-binky-nuk-sucky-lovey-ya-ya environment. Or in a barn with wolves, whatever.”

No comments: