Tuesday, March 17, 2009

cluster-nookie

noun. A true cluster-naughty word, I reckon, though naughtier.

Real citation: "I thought long and hard about how best to deal with winning playoff games, or not making the playoffs due to tie-breakers, or weighting wins deeper in the playoffs, and how to assign a point value for a first round bye versus the value for the actual win to face that team with a bye, and how I was ever going to get to the end of this sentence, and I finally gave up. The playoff structure has changed from the championship going to the team with the best record, then to a game with just the two division winners (with play-in games for ties), and all the way up to our current 12-team 11-game formula, not even mentioning the cluster-nookie that was the 1982 strike season."
(May 11, 2004, Mark Hutson, Football Outsiders, http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2004/guest-column-and-loser)

Made-up citation: "I like when things are orderly and clean, with lots of napkins available. Cluster-nookies make me nervous, though the nookie part is rather relaxing, so I guess I have mixed feelings on this subject."

No comments: