Monday, June 19, 2006

globo-downfallization

noun. World go boom. Or down the commode. Or something.

Real citation: "Like Geoff Pullum, I haven't read what Don Watson has to say about the globo-downfallization of language, because Watson's book is not available here."
(Mark Liberman, "Counting new words: is there a lexicography gap?," Dec. 23, 2003, Language Log, http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000257.html)

Made-up citation: "Disappointing though it may be, I don't believe your expanding waistline can be linked to globo-downfallization."

1 comment:

Shad Marsh said...

Hi Mark,

love the blog.
I hope you dont mind an out of place comment, but I was wondering if you could point me to some place where I could find your book-length poem "Men"

unless of course this is a different Mark Peters, and in that case please forgive my intrusion.