Friday, October 08, 2004

Columns, blogs, life, and underwear

Today's word is more of a sentence, and that sentence is: "Holy dog shit, this blog is killing me!"

Well, that's an exaggeration, but I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to make this more of a "Wordlust of the week" thing.

I'm an obsessive and prolific writer, but I'm trying to figure out how best to use my writing energy. Here's a list of the stuff I'm currently writing:

--Biweekly Wordlust columns
--Five Wordlust blog entries a week
--Longer articles about language for pubs like Verbatim: The Language Quarterly and The Vocabula Review
--Articles about other stuff for various pubs

One of my dilemmas is blogs vs. columns. I want to get my column in more newspapers, and I want to get it in a weekly paper. If that were to happen, I'd definitely cool it with the blog.

Then again, maybe I should just put the columns in the blog and can the column. Who gives a rat's heiny for these weekly newspapers? I should embrace the blog! Right? I don't fucking know.

A strange thing: My columns are random and blog-like and my blog entries are relatively focused and column-like. Though, in the spirit of blogging, I do spend less time on the blog.

Here's a thought: I could do two Wordlust blog/columns a week. One would be random stuff, one would be focused on a single word. Fuck the newspapers.

Then again, I love you newspapers! Come kiss me on the lips.

I don't know. I'm thinking about it. I could also write a little less and use some of that time to get a life. Nah--now I'm talking crazy.

Well, I'm going to think about it. I'll leave you today with these immortal words of Grandpa Simpson: "Whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answers to all the important questions."

No comments: